Without sounding like an old man whos losing his marbles (I’m 33 this week), sometimes it’s good to re-visit the classics. In this world of X-Factor mania, and “skin feeling visibly younger”, sometimes you need to cut out the nonsense and go back to basics.. Every once in a while we all need reminding that quality should always be the watch-word.
Which is what we’re doing here.
Here’s an exclusive mix from Blunt Buddy (and blood brother to our own Doug) Prolifik, in memory of the late J Dilla.
Quite simply, it’s some on-point hip hop and
soul,perfect for the current
sunshine we’re having. I know this mix is a couple of years old, but it’s always good to take something like this back off ice once in a while and give it a listen. Remind yourself whats important. In this case it’s slick rhyming and tight snares, deep beats and soulful breaks, in tribute to the man, J Dilla. Not Ant and Dec talking to some dizzy bird who wants to be Mariah Carey, or some daft fecker in lycra who fancies himself as Michael Jackson on roller skates.
So, take the advice of this old man. Pour the Kool-Aid, pitch up on the stoop, hit play, and transport yourself back to the good old days, with some smooth beats from one of the best producers who was ever in the game. A full tracklisting is below.
1. Intro – ‘Coastin’ (Taken from Vintage)
2. Think Twice – Jay Dee (Welcome to Detroit)
3. Fall N Love (Dilla remix) – Slum Village (Fantastic Volume II)
4. 4 Moms – Jay Dee (A.T.C.Q – The Love Movement)
5. Dime Piece Remix – Dwele (The Shining)
6. Time: Donut of the heart – Jay Dee (Donuts)
7. Untitled – Slum Village (Fantastic Voulme II)
8. Inside My Love – Minnie Ripperton
9. What Love Is (Alternative) – Slum Village (Fantastic Vol. II)
10. You Cant Hold The Torch – Busta Rhymes ft. Q-Tip (The Big Bang)
11. No Liver Than This – 1st Down
12. Track 10 – Jay Dee (BEAT CD ‘05 *3)
13. Lets Take it Back – J Dilla (ruff Draft EP)
14. Clap Your Hands – Guilty Simpson (Chrome Children)
15. Outro (MED – Push)